Seeking step-by-step advice on replacing kitchen faucet for the first time

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.
Geena Athkinson

Seeking step-by-step advice on replacing kitchen faucet for the first time

Post by Geena Athkinson »

I'm a woman in my 40s living alone in a small apartment. My kitchen faucet has been dripping since this morning! So it is now leaking when I use it. The building plumber inspected it and said the faucet is old with some corrosion and recommended I replace it completely.

The problem is I have zero experience with plumbing repairs. I've never replaced a faucet before. The plumber gave me a quick overview but I'm still intimidated and don't know where to start. I don't want to mess up my sink and cause more issues.

Can anyone provide a step-by-step walkthrough on how I can safely replace this kitchen faucet myself? What tools will I need? How do I turn off the water supply and disconnect the lines? Should I drain the pipes first?

Also, what potential problems or complications could I run into? Are there any tips or tricks for a first-timer doing this repair? Any specific safety precautions I should take?

I'm willing to learn but I don't have anyone to help show me the ropes. Detailed guidance tailored for a beginner would be extremely helpful before I attempt this. I really need hand-holding through the process since I have no prior experience. Thank you so much!

Martine Murdoch

Re: Seeking step-by-step advice on replacing kitchen faucet for the first time

Post by Martine Murdoch »

You don't have to know how to replace the faucet. But just for general knowledge here's some info. So it concosts of a few things, like:

Valve - controls the flow of water. It has an open and closed position. When open, it allows water to flow through. When closed, it restricts the flow.
Handles - controls that allow you to manually open and close the valve. handles come in different styles like single lever, dual knobs, etc. Turning the handles opens or closes the valve.
Spout - where water comes out. It is often adjustable and able to swivel and pivot to direct water flow.
Aerator - a screen at the tip of the spout that mixes air into the water stream to prevent splashing. It also limits water flow.
Faucet body - contains the valve and directs water up to the spout. May be constructed from materials like metal, plastic, etc.
Supply lines - the water inlet tubes that connect the faucet to the main water supply pipes in the wall or floor.
Drain assembly - directs used water from the faucet into the sink drain pipework.

So that were the basics. When you come to the shop to buy it, you will be on the same wavelength with the sales guy. But no worries! He will help you choose the right thing.

transportcard

Post by transportcard »

Guys, good that I stumbled upon this thread. Can you advise, if I have to turn off the water supplies to the house while I am changing faucets? (o~o)

Gregga

Post by Gregga »

I think that it is very important to consult with experts before you start doing anything related to the repair. So that you don't have to redo everything later.

BrianMar

Post by BrianMar »

Why not delegate all these renovation processes and tasks to professionals right away? I prefer to always find experienced professionals, different companies, regardless of whether I need to install a kitchen tap, paste wallpaper or repair windows. Speaking of screen repair los angeles - Roy's Mobile Screens provides excellent services and I think it's the best value for money. I recommend at least visiting the website to see the selection.