How Was You Day?

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: How Was You Day?

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Astrogirl wrote:Damn that's a nasty infection.
Meh.
I guess it's nasty enough. In the last 10 days it has really only meant a couple of days of light-medium discomfort and a bit of run-around with medical professionals followed by a few minutes of pain and the promise of minor surgery with a few days of recovery some point in the future. Most discomfort was alleviated last Tuesday and essentially eliminated by Thursday or Friday thanks to a regimen of antibiotics I've somewhat* followed since then.
I still have yet to receive a call about my seemingly inevitable surgery.

*It's pretty difficult to follow the instructions for a 4-times-per-day-with-food prescription when on vacation, particularly if it's a camping/cottage vacation. In normal life this would mean taking the antibiotic with breakfast, lunch and dinner with another taken with a late-evening snack of some kind. Not terribly difficult. But after a long history of camp/cottage vacations and the subsequent eschewing typical meal-times that becomes difficult. From my experience there are two meals in a vacation-day. Breakfast (10am or so) and dinner (anywhere from 5pm to 8pm). "Lunch" usually consists of an early afternoon snack and is typically consumed away from the living quarters. There may or may not be the option for a late-evening snack but this is usually dependent on the length of the day, interest of involved parties, level of alcohol consumption and other factors (including the memory of the prescribed under one or more of aforementioned conditions). So, yeah, I've not been following the prescription to the letter. I have managed 3 per day, though, to even my own surprise. So that's something. I guess it'll be closer to a 12-day regimen (as opposed to 10-days) in order to finish the prescription.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Lethal Interjection wrote:It's pretty difficult to follow the instructions for a 4-times-per-day-with-food prescription when on vacation, particularly if it's a camping/cottage vacation.
I feel you. When I was on HRT (to be able to become pregnant and for the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy to stay pregnant) I had to take one pill 3x every 8 hours and one 4x every 6 hours and like - how? Thankfully my doctor said eventually it's okay to take 2 every 12 hours instead. But that's hormones, I suspect for antibiotics this might not be allowable.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Hmmm I have fond (odd/wobbly/I was so sick) memories of one of my bouts of viral pneumonia where my asthma tried to kill me. We had gone up to an Auntys farm and pitched a tent in her garden and been living there for the summer holidays. But they moved me into the house after I got sick (nice of them). And I'd have to wake up every four hours for a week to sit at my Darth Vadar machine (nebuliser) for half an hour and breath in the chemical goodness. Every four hours on the dot.

There is something surreal about sitting in the crisp night air, in an otherwise silent farmhouse, everyone else asleep, breathing through your rattly life saving machine of doom until the last drops of meds have evaporated because you don't want to miss any of them and end up in hospital again.

I'm just saying, meds are annoying, but awesome and cool. (Any other century and I would be dead for sure.)
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Yeah, me too. Also got pneumonia, when I was 5. Not as bad as yours, though. I remember going to the hospital (there weren't really any doctors outside hospitals) to inhale vapor, but it was only once a day I think.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Oh, well the above was when I got it when I was about 11-13 (I can't remember). I ALSO got it when I was five and spent two weeks in hospital on a drip. I had to learn to drawn with my left hand because some horrible nurse decided that the drip should go into my right hand. I still remember how upset I was about not being able to use my right hand, and my dad being a champion and challenging me to left-handed drawing contests. Good times.

I mean... I've gotten pneumonia a few other times (Pearl Jam Concert - How To Freak Out First Aid Guys 101 -and- Don't Go Into Mosh Pits with Pneumonia 101), and been to hospital a couple of other times (Take the Time to Dress Well When Going to Bogan Hospitals or They Treat You Like You're Poor and Ignore That You're Sick 101)... I think the point is that my lungs were super crap in my youth. Maybe they still suck as much but steroids have improved? I don't know what my point was.

It's kind of fascinating that the only doctors were at the hospital for you. I only end up going to hospital when the serious attacks hit out of doctor hours.
King Prawn

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Kimra wrote:It's kind of fascinating that the only doctors were at the hospital for you. I only end up going to hospital when the serious attacks hit out of doctor hours.
Yeah those were not hospital-hospitals with beds. They were basically crammed full of doctors' surgeries/offices. They were not independent of each other, the administrative stuff was shared. There were almost zero doctors' surgeries/offices in buildings with apartments like there are now. Maybe because there were too few apartments to begin with. Or because independent surgeries/offices were not possible, they were all owned by the state. Something like that.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Astrogirl wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:It's pretty difficult to follow the instructions for a 4-times-per-day-with-food prescription when on vacation, particularly if it's a camping/cottage vacation.
I feel you. When I was on HRT (to be able to become pregnant and for the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy to stay pregnant) I had to take one pill 3x every 8 hours and one 4x every 6 hours and like - how? Thankfully my doctor said eventually it's okay to take 2 every 12 hours instead. But that's hormones, I suspect for antibiotics this might not be allowable.
Meh. Allowable? Ashmowable. I mean I wish I'd been able to maintain the intended prescription. But I'm hardly worried. I have a strong immune system and this is my first bout of antibiotics in 15 years at least. I'm sure taking 3/4 per day is going to be fine, all told.
Though I haven't gotten my call for a surgery consult. I probably should follow up, but part of me wants to wait to see if I have a third occurrence since this is my first where I've also gotten antibiotics.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

today is my first day on an increased dosage of HRT

now i'm on 2mg estradiol 3x daily, so that should help level my mood out a bit instead of having a weird emotional trough around three or four in the afternoon
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I hope all these medication things are going well for everyone!

Today was pretty good for me. Friday before a three -day weekend, because America!

A friend of a friend apparently has a very nice firework display each year, so we will be going to it tomorrow for an early 4th of July celebration. The weather has been quite dry lately, so there are some bans on private fireworks, but it has been cleared with the fire marshal, so that is good.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kovvy wrote:
Today was pretty good for me. Friday before a three -day weekend, because America!

A friend of a friend apparently has a very nice firework display each year...

Today was the start of a three-day weekend, because Canadia! Granted, I'm on vacation so it's not exactly a long weekend for me. But I did get to see some pretty great fireworks this evening. Best I've seen since high-school. My parents have a lake-side trailer site just outside of Acton* and there was a perfect line of site across the lake for their fireworks display. Plus it was a great evening with the family with enough laughs that my cheeks were sore.

*If you head north-northwest from Toronto you go through Brampton (where I grew up) then Georgetown (where I spent a lot of time in high-school) and then Acton.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I have three days without work, a week without school and my wife finally gets back tomorrow after being in Spain for 10 days. I was so busy with work and school, I didn't get too lonely over her being away so long. But it will be very nice to have her back. Two of the four cats are being very needy in her absence as well. They don't let me sleep and just follow me around when I'm awake.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:today is my first day on an increased dosage of HRT

now i'm on 2mg estradiol 3x daily, so that should help level my mood out a bit instead of having a weird emotional trough around three or four in the afternoon
That sounds good :)

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Kaharz wrote:Two of the four cats are being very needy in her absence as well. They don't let me sleep and just follow me around when I'm awake.
Cats are secretly very needy. And by secretly I mean, insanely.
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

had a fantastic day crashing the international conference of vertebrate morphology to meet up with neglectedshoe

learned all sorts of really neat bird and animal facts that i posted on tumblr

afterwards had really disappointing tacos with great company at a rum bar by the convention center

what a fantastic day; i really need to figure out how to get paid to attend academic conferences
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Edminster wrote:i really need to figure out how to get paid to attend academic conferences
I'm working on it. I'll let you know how it's going in ~7 years.

Also cool conference! I love me some vertebrate morphology. I know a lot about it.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.