Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:This is from one person. I know I've seen other stuff, but I don't recall where/who. Only this person stood out. And her stuff is a little more, well, extreme than most.
I DO NOT CARE IF THIS DOES OFFEND SOMEONE… AND IF IT DOES, DELETE ME PLEASE :) THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE…I AM SICK AND TIRED OF EVERY YEAR WHEN CHRISTMAS COMES AROUND; THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TAKE CHRIST OUT OF CHRISTMAS BECAUSE IT MIGHT OFFEND SOMEONE…WELL, HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE CHRISTIANS?...WHAT ABOUT OFFENDING US ...BECAUSE YOU ARE TAKING OUR CHRIST OUT OF CHRISTMAS?...CHRIST IS CHRISTMAS!...IF YOU AREN'T CELEBRATING CHRIST THEN WHY ARE YOU CELEBRATING?...CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT THE BIRTH OF OUR SAVIOR!...CHRISTMAS IS ONE OF A FEW HOLIDAYS LEFT THAT CELEBRATE "MY" CHRIST!...LEAVE "MY" HOLIDAY ALONE!...AND TELL EVERYONE MERRY CHRISTMAS, NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS!...RE-POST IF YOU’RE NOT ASHAMED!!!
All caps, no less.

I'm inviting all my Facebook family and friends to join me in returning to the traditional greeting of "Merry Christmas" instead of the politically correct "Happy Holidays". If you agree with me, please re-post this message. ~ Merry Christmas!
And thanks to searching it up I found this wonderfully bigotted comment on it.
Politically correct my ass ! it has been and always will be MERRY CHRISTMAS ! Iif certain culture's don't like it then GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY !!!!

I know there were more, it just won't let me go further back in her history (thanks to the fact that she has her daily horoscope, not to mention a lot of other shit posting on her page.) I really should delete the woman. She's an ex-co-worker. Her delightful commentary does make me laugh from time to time.

While I agree that it shouldn't really matter what Christmas/holiday greeting you give, I'm hardly of this stance.

Christmas, New Years, Epiphany.

BAM Happy Holidays.

e:
this also entirely ignores the Advent season which you can throw in for added hilarity
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, they probably are reposts. I wonder if he's getting the same place as your coworker is.
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP..... We can't say Merry Christmas now we have to say Happy Holidays. We can't call it a Christmas tree, it's now called a Holiday tree? Because it might offend someone. If you don't like our "Customs" and it offends you so much then LEAVE I will help you pack. They are called customs and we have our traditions If you agree with this...please post this as your status!! I AM A proud to speak English ... MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Just so everyone knows, I have a CHRISTMAS TREE in my living room (not a holiday tree), my kids are getting CHRISTMAS PRESENTS (not holiday gifts) and we will eat CHRISTMAS DINNER (not a holiday meal), and I will attend a CHRISTMAS PARTY (not a holiday party). I will also very cheerfully wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS! (not... happy holidays). By the way, if you want to have a Happy hanukah , by all means do, I respect that. If you want to have a Blessed Kwanzaa, I also respect that. I want to have a Merry Christmas, so I ask YOU to respect that!
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I AM A proud to speak English
not so fast there slick
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Hey, he never claimed he was good at it!
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Christmas, New Years, Epiphany.

BAM Happy Holidays.

e:
this also entirely ignores the Advent season which you can throw in for added hilarity
Yeah, that's one route you can go.

I just wish people a Merry Christmas. It isn't as if I've ever had anyone come up to me and say "Uh, I'm not Christian!" Which, depending on how insulted they were, would get the response "okay" or "so?" (the more insulted they would be the more indifferent I would be).
I wouldn't get pissed at someone wishing me a Chappy Chanukkah. Or anything else.
(Edit: Which of course means I agree with the second of Smiley's quotes. But I still don't think it even needs to me mentioned in the first place).

I actually had to lay a verbal smack-down on an occasionally closed-minded (and mildly bigoted) friend on this subject last year. It's not something that needs to be upsetting or challenging to your religion. His argument even threw in the old "Xmas" chestnut. Which is particularly ludicrous because it is antiquated (Xmas is far from a "politically correct" issue, at least at this point, it is simply a matter of brevity/space/cost).

My pet peeve is people who get their ire up for nonsense.

Edit: Also, I love how two of these have mentioned "customs" and "traditions" and inviting people to leave. It makes me smile. What do natives who don't believe in Christmas do?

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Edit: Also, I love how two of these have mentioned "customs" and "traditions" and inviting people to leave. It makes me smile. What do natives who don't believe in Christmas do?
That was the thing that struck me most. By this argument, it seems like you shouldn't celebrate Christmas...

by which i mean natives go back to your OWN damn country
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Happy Winter Solstice everyone.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Want presents -> celebrate christmas. Does it really have to be any more complicated than that?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

hanukkah has gifts too but they are traditionally shitty

the food rocks tho, donuts and latkes and shit

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Perhaps the true gift of Hanukkah is cholesterol?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I actually had to lay a verbal smack-down on an occasionally closed-minded (and mildly bigoted) friend on this subject last year. It's not something that needs to be upsetting or challenging to your religion. His argument even threw in the old "Xmas" chestnut. Which is particularly ludicrous because it is antiquated (Xmas is far from a "politically correct" issue, at least at this point, it is simply a matter of brevity/space/cost).
I heard somewhere once that Xmas is actually a relatively old abbreviation that has fairly religious connotations-- the Greek letter Chi (Χ) is associated with Christianity because Ch is for Christ and it looks like a cross. Chi is found in the Chi-rho, a symbol for Christ. It appears in St. Andrew's cross (which is basically an X). AND, here's a Christmas postcard from 1910, not exactly the heyday of heathen secularism, that uses Xmas.

I do agree that Christ is disappearing from Christmas (which oddly enough bothers me a lot even though I don't consider myself Christian). But I don't think the PC left is really to blame for it; they mostly don't really care all that much about Christmas and have bigger things on their agenda anyway. It seems to be mostly due to commerical forces that are bent on milking the holiday for all it's worth in terms of sales, so that now the primary focus of Christmas (at least according to pop culture) is buying things. This is the reason that the Christmas season now ends rather than begins on Christmas day, because now everything is a preparation for gift-giving and the season is a season of buying things to prepare for it. They've had a pretty big success, both at elevating the status of Christmas (which in past centuries was not the most important of holidays) and by effectively ending observation of many traditions, such as the season of the advent (when traditionally no Christmas songs were played) and the 12 days of Christmas (if this counts as a tradition).

Sorry, rant over.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I think if you're super into Christ, you'll find a place for him at Christmas. For other people that's not what it's about anymore.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Euclidthegreek wrote:the 12 days of Christmas (if this counts as a tradition).
It does, as it's the countdown to the Epiphany (the real ending of Christmas)

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Euclidthegreek wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I actually had to lay a verbal smack-down on an occasionally closed-minded (and mildly bigoted) friend on this subject last year. It's not something that needs to be upsetting or challenging to your religion. His argument even threw in the old "Xmas" chestnut. Which is particularly ludicrous because it is antiquated (Xmas is far from a "politically correct" issue, at least at this point, it is simply a matter of brevity/space/cost).
I heard somewhere once that Xmas is actually a relatively old abbreviation that has fairly religious connotations-- the Greek letter Chi (Χ) is associated with Christianity because Ch is for Christ and it looks like a cross. Chi is found in the Chi-rho, a symbol for Christ. It appears in St. Andrew's cross (which is basically an X). AND, here's a Christmas postcard from 1910, not exactly the heyday of heathen secularism, that uses Xmas.

I do agree that Christ is disappearing from Christmas (which oddly enough bothers me a lot even though I don't consider myself Christian). But I don't think the PC left is really to blame for it; they mostly don't really care all that much about Christmas and have bigger things on their agenda anyway. It seems to be mostly due to commerical forces that are bent on milking the holiday for all it's worth in terms of sales, so that now the primary focus of Christmas (at least according to pop culture) is buying things. This is the reason that the Christmas season now ends rather than begins on Christmas day, because now everything is a preparation for gift-giving and the season is a season of buying things to prepare for it. They've had a pretty big success, both at elevating the status of Christmas (which in past centuries was not the most important of holidays) and by effectively ending observation of many traditions, such as the season of the advent (when traditionally no Christmas songs were played) and the 12 days of Christmas (if this counts as a tradition).

Sorry, rant over.
I agree with pretty much everything said here.
And I'm pretty sure I mentioned the whole X-mas history deal to my friend, which I've heard before elsewhere.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think my favourite war on Christmas argument is that it's attacking our [American's] freedom or religion! I still haven't figured that one out.